Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Golf Lesson

Here's the pictures of the boys' golf lesson....finally! lol I was going to try to put them in order, since when I upload them they get mixed up, but it's late and I'm super tired from the beach today. So, sorry. The pictures are in no particular order, but I'll try to give some commentary, if I can.

Later in the lesson, the golf instructor (henceforth called the "pro") was working on keeping Levi from taking this particular club too far back behind his head and shoulders. This was difficult since this club weighs a lot at the end and Levi is so little.
This is Indy putting a ball on his tee so he can hit it. See the clubs on the ground? Well , the pro set up a "batters' box" for the boys so they would know where to stand. They were supposed to straddle one of the clubs, while keeping both feet right up next to a different club.
This is Indy. See his hands and feet? He is holding the club like a bat. The pro knew right away that Indy was a baseball player. Also, on his feet: His stance is that of a baseball batter. In golf, both feet stay down and once you swing, the right heel (if you're swinging right handed) comes up. This is a baseball stance.

Note Levi's feet, however, which are both down during the swing. See him straddling the club?



The golf cart ride and this tube, which is used to pick up the balls and later dump them into the bucket, was Indy's two favorite parts of the lesson. I guess he won't be back for another one! lol When Nicky asked the boys how the lesson was, Indy said, "Booor-ring." While Levi dove into a 15 minute speech on all the things they did. Now, who's the golfer in this family?? lol

Just them hitting.

Indy getting instruction from the pro.

See how the club is all the way around his back? It was too heavy for him and his size.
More instructions.
Look at the difference in the two boys' grips. Interesting, huh? Also, their stances.


"This is the hot dog and this is the bun." The hot dog was the thumb of one of your hands and the bun was the other hand, which goes on top of the hot dog. It's a kid way to explain the grip. It worked pretty well, too.


More instruction.
More instruction.
That's it. Well, this lesson was fun and Levi had a BLAST, but it was waaay too expensive to keep up. Someone told me about a local golf club that offers group classes for as young as 3-5 year olds (which this one doesn't). I checked it out and found out the classes are reasonably priced, esp. compared to this lesson! lol They go in 6 week intervals for one hour each week with a maximum of 6 kids per class. Right now I can't do it because the times interfere with baseball/teeball, but I plan to put Levi in come January. He will just love that. I will give him the option of teeball or golf, which I'm sure I know the answer to, but you never know, so I'll let him pick and then we'll sign up for that one. Levi had sooo much fun this day, even with all the instructions. After 45 minutes of this and then 15 minutes on their miniature course, he still wanted to play more. It was already past lunch time, but he still wanted to stay and play. He was dripping sweat, but was nearly crying that we had to leave. I'm glad he has something he loves so much. Indy feels like that about baseball. It's nice to have a hobby that you love.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are so-o-o-o cute. Can't wait to go golfing with them. Mom