Tuesday, August 05, 2008

10 Week Menu Plan, Part I

As promised, here is the first half of my 10-week menu plan. Before I begin, I need to explain a couple things.... First: When I say "Extra", it's any choice from a list of Extra meals I made. These are meals we have eaten and somewhat like, but they're not our favorites. So, I made a whole list of these. Most weeks I have Extra listed and this allows me to make a choice from this Extra list. Was that repetitive?? If so, sorry. Second: Every now and then, I have "New Recipe" listed. This gives me the opportunity to pick a new recipe to try. Then later, I can add it to the regular menu plan (trading out another meal) or the Extra list or just ditch it. Third: Sometimes I have "frozen dinner" listed. I usually keep a couple frozen dinners in the freezer for those emergency situations. But, there are some frozen dinners that we just like now and then. I can either plan a specific frozen dinner for that night or I can move the frozen dinner to a different night in the week and just use one of the ones in the freezer, for a well-deserved night off for me. Fourth: I have tried to include at least one "night off" for me each week, either in the form of eat out, frozen dinner, or an easy meal like sloppy joes or hot dogs. It's not that we love those meals, but it's a way for us to not spend extra money, yet I'm still not cooking a full meal. Fifth: Sometimes I have several recipes for the same meal, like meat loaf, for example. I have only listed it as meat loaf, so I can choose which recipe to use at that time. Sixth: I usually have crock pot meals planned for Tuesdays, since that's one of our busiest days. Finally, with this menu plan, I will be able to shop in advance for something (like if there's a sale) and also have a planned grocery list (my next project) for each week, to which I will add anything we need and the ingredients for the Extra or New Recipe meals. So, with all that said and without further ado, here's the first 5 weeks....

WEEK 1
Sunday- Tacos
Monday- Pork Chops
Tuesday- Tater Tot Casserole
Wednesday- Ham & Potatoes Au Gratin
Thursday- Lasagna
Friday- New Recipe
Saturday- Frozen Dinner

WEEK 2
Sunday- Creamy Chicken & Pasta
Monday- Meat Loaf
Tuesday- Red Bandana Stew
Wednesday- Kielbasa
Thursday- Manicotti
Friday- Extra
Saturday- Hot Dogs

WEEK 3
Sunday- oops! Forgot to pick something for today!!
Monday- Stuffed Green Peppers or Cabbage Rolls
Tuesday- Swiss Steak
Wednesday- Santa Fe Chicken
Thursday- Spaghetti
Friday- Extra
Saturday- Frozen Dinner

WEEK 4
Sunday- Shrimp Scampi Bake
Monday- Chicken Tetrazzini
Tuesday- Roast
Wednesday- Roast Chicken
Thursday- Baked Ziti
Friday- Extra
Saturday- Order Out

WEEK 5
Sunday- Arroz Con Pollo
Monday- Turkey
Tuesday- Tater Tot Casserole (one of Nicky's favs!!)
Wednesday- Steak & Mushrooms
Thursday- Eggplant Parmigiana
Friday- Taco Casserole
Saturday- Extra

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have planned for "Italian" dishes on Thursdays, in case you didn't notice. I don't know why I picked Thursday, but we like a lot of Italian food, so I had to include one night a week for that.

Now, if you see anything you'd like the recipe for, post a comment with the dish name and starting on Friday, I'll post some recipes. If you don't, I'll subject you to more pictures of my kids on vacation!! lol Just kidding! I like you too much for that. ;-) Oh, and tell me what you think of my menu plan. Any suggestions?? LMK
See you tomorrow!
Mylinda :-)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love your menu plan. My head is been on the same thought this last couple of weeks. Good Work!
-Amy

Anonymous said...

A long time ago, thursday night was considered spaghetti night. So you are on the right track. My Mom told me that. You forgot to put Chicken puffs (aka Chicken turds) :)