Saturday, July 12, 2008

More Tragedy

Well, not yet, but we'll have to wait and see. Today Savannah's puppies (the New Kids on the Block) attacked her chickens...twice. The first time, she caught them and chased them away with a big reprimand. But, the second time, she was at a birthday party and I happened upon them hovering over the hen (Savannah's favorite...the naked neck). She was laying sideways in the grass, breathing, but missing feathers and a little bloody. Poor thing. It took me awhile to find the rooster, but he was hiding behind the shelter in their new housing. Poor guy was scared to death. He's fine now, btw. Anyway, luckily, Savannah's party was only one street from home, so I went over to see what she wanted to do. (Right after I found the hen, I put the dogs in their big kennel inside.) She told me to pick her up with a towel and bring her inside. So I did. I put her in the laundry room for some quiet rest and told the boys to leave her alone. They actually did. Good boys! It was so cute, because every night I sing "Pass it On" to the boys before bed and it's a special song to Levi. He asked me if he could go sing to the hen and I asked him what he wanted to sing and he said "Pass it On". So, he did. It was so sweet. He just stood over her and sang to her then told her "It's ok." It was so cute.

Anyway, that's where we are right now. We'll have to see how she is tomorrow. But, she has tried to stand up already. She's kinda wobbly and didn't get up all the way, but at least she's trying. If she keeps fighting to live, we may have to take her to a vet. Yuck! How much is that gonna cost?? I think we should put some neosporin on her wounds. Any ideas? If you know anything about chickens, please leave a comment and LMK your advice. Thanks.

One other minor tragedy...well, not really, just an inconvenience: The snake escaped again. Argh! Maybe this time we'll be able to find him a little quicker since her room is a "little" cleaner. We'll see.

Ok, that's it for now. Pray for us, our animals, and especially Savannah in case her hen, Bubba the Worm Slayer (yes, that's her name lol) doesn't make it. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: