1. Do some scrapbooking. (done)
2. Paint and redecorate the bathroom.
3. Tackle the girls' room by cleaning, painting, and rearranging furniture.
4. Organize my recipes. (done)
5. Clean the fridge REALLY well.
6. Go thru school papers from this year and organize portfolios. (done)
7. Prepare for school for next year. (We'll start Aug. 4)
As you can see, I've done a couple things on there. And, yesterday, I actually finished my recipe organization, which I've been working on for 2 1/2 weeks!! And, I finally have my dining table back now!! Whoohoo!! :-)
So, here's some pictures of my progress. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the mess of recipes before I began, but I did yesterday, in the middle of the mayhem. So, here they are....
This is my table yesterday while I was working on the recipes. What a mess, huh?? They're spread all over everywhere!! Plus, I was hogging our only table, so we haven't been able to eat at it in who knows how long! Argh!
This is the types of binders I bought for each category. Of course, they're all different colors, which makes it more fun and easier to spot a book, once I memorize which topic is which color. Desserts are pink, because pink is exciting and so are desserts!! :-)
I made cover pages with titles and pictures for the front cover of each binder. Sick, I know, but, hey, what can I say? I couldn't have a binder with nothing on the front! I even put the same (or close) color font on the title as the color of the binder.
Inside, I have page protectors. Inside each, I put some notebook paper and some copy paper. I started with copy paper, on which I was taping old recipes. Then, when I had to start writing them out, I moved to notebook paper. Then I ended up taping some recipes to the notebook paper. Either way, they're all in the page protectors, which is great because then when I have it open to a recipe and it gets splashed with something, they won't get ruined. I'll just have to wipe the page protector off with a wet cloth. I love it!!
I also made binding labels for the books. I liked the basic look of the pictures I picked for these, but I had a hard time finding one for the side dishes and breads. I finally found the only ones close and picked those, so they all sort of go together. Note the categories for my binders: Main Dishes, Breads, Breakfasts, Side Dishes & Party Foods, Desserts. At first, I thought I might have been able to get away with a little smaller binders, but once I finished, I know it's good I bought the bigger ones. They're not completely full yet, but it gives me room to be able to add some recipes as I want. Oh, and in the breakfast book, since I have a bunch of recipes, but certainly not enough to fill it up, I also added, with some dividers, a "to try" and "information" category. The info is basically, my instruction manuals for my wheat grinder, big mixer, toaster oven, waffle maker, popcorn maker and other misc. small appliances. You know those books always have recipes or special instructions in them, so here they're handy. Also, I put in emails or things I've printed from the Internet on healthy eating and other misc. things. At least it's all in one spot and as I find more stuff, I'll know right where to put it so I can find it in the future. I'm so excited!!
This shelf was where all my recipe books were. Some I kept either for reference or because I like to find new things in them. But, I went through the piles and if I haven't used them recently... or ever... I just gave them away or ditched them. It gave me lots more room to work with. There's still a pile on the left of ones I really like or use and on the right are a few I also like or use or just don't want to get rid of. I had to put the piece of wood on the shelf so the books would sit on the shelf without falling over. Ok.....here it is......
Ta-Dah!! My finished shelf. Does it look great, or what?? And, it only took me two and a half weeks!! lol So, now I can knock another item off my project list. I'm planning to clean the fridge today and then I'll have another item knocked off!! Whoo hoo!Well, that's it for now. How do you like it? Oh, BTW, part of this project was to make an 8-week menu plan, which I did, but for 10 weeks!! I will post it some other time. I'll let the beauty of my recipe shelf sink in for now. Besides, since we'll be on vacation later this month and Ashton's gone all month, I decided that I won't be starting the 10-week plan until the beginning of August. Probably the day we begin school on Aug. 4. Well, LMK what you think and I'll be back tomorrow with another entry in my "Favorites" list. I betcha can't wait!! lol
Have a great day! :-)
5 comments:
Wow, that is very impressive. Now why didn't you just put them all online to share with the rest of us?
lol! You're funny! Actually, I'm a paper/pen person at heart and "tolerate" the computer, though it is handy for some stuff...like blogging...and email. But, I'd much rather have it right in front of me instead of having to "look it up" on the cpu. That's way too abstract for me! lol
Your receipe system looks great. "Good job, Bob." I would do one, too, but I don't plan to do any cooking, so why bother?
Leslie & I were just talking today about what to have to eat, as Ashton is coming and we will need to feed her. I guess we will think of something.
You marked off "some scrapbooking" on your list. What is "some"? I know you are not caught-up on scrapbooking.
When you finish your list would you like to come and work on my house & list? lol Just thougt I'd ask. later & love, Mom C.
I spent a week scrapbooking and got about 18 pages done. I had to put it away so I could do some other stuff. I want to do some more before school starts, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. We'll see. I'll only have a week when I get back from NC til school starts so I should really work on school stuff that week. Again, we'll see. Maybe I'll have to schedule a week off sometime in Sept. so I can do some more scrapbooking!! lol
You'll have to ask Ashton what she wants to eat. She's pretty easy. She's not a fan of rice, but loves salads. BTW, she'll probably need to sleep a lot when she gets to your house...it's camp, you know. No sleep. Have fun! :-)
I really, really like your recipe binder idea! In fact...so much so that I feel compelled to "be like you"! Mind if I borrow your wonderful idea? Thanks for stopping by my place!
Post a Comment