Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chickens!

I told you there's never a dull moment, didn't I?? Well, here's just another example....

Savannah is in the veterinary program at her magnet school and they have this "wonderful" opportunity for her to get some extra credit. They give you a baby chicken to raise then show in the county fair next March. She asked her dad if she could get a chicken since "it's for school" and she "gets extra credit" (anything for school, you know). He said yes, and she was sooo excited! So, here's the new additions to our family.
Isn't he cute? Well, maybe it's a he, we don't know yet. Either way, this is Tyson...like the chicken. He's cute, huh?

This one...not so much. This one is Bubba, the Worm Slayer. Yes, that's its name. Why? I have no idea except that Savannah named him. lol This one is called a Naked-Necked Chicken. That's his breed. He's a full fledged chicken, but they're nicknamed "Turkens" because they look like turkeys.

See? This breed doesn't grow feathers on its neck, thus the naked necked name. He looks kinda ugly, but boy, is he sweet. He is soo calm compared to the spastic other one. He'll just sit there and let you pet him...and he'll fall asleep!! It's so cute!

The kids are just loving these little guys! Here's Indy playing with Tyson.

And, here's Savannah with Bubba, the Worm Slayer.

Awww! They're staying in the extra large dog kennel we have. Savannah made them a nice little home. They have a plastic shoe box with hay for a nest and we bought a feeder and waterer so they don't spill the stuff and make a bigger mess. They also have a heat lamp, which they have to keep for about 3 more weeks. (Nice electric bill, I'm sure!!) The only thing we still need to get is a couple dowel rods to put across the kennel in the air for a roost. At nighttime, they huddle together to sleep. It's so cute! And, when Savannah cleans out their cage, she lets them play in the yard. All the neighborhood kids love to play with them. And, the dogs and cat are getting used to them, so hopefully we won't have any tragedies before the fair. I just hope at least one of them is a hen so I can get some eggs out of all this!!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

This is way too funny. i would love to be able to do that. tell savannah she's lucky. and hey, she only needs one for school, so why 3?

Mylinda said...

There's only 2 and it's because there were extras and she wanted a baby and the ugly one. He was the only one and no one wanted it. WE didn't tell Dad ahead of time. lol

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Oh, they are way too cute. I cannot believe that the dogs and cats haven't eaten them though! They will be alot of fun to watch grow up I bet. Good luck with getting some eggs - yummy!

My brother and sil started raising chickens. I think they got 9. Now they have like 60 eggs a week to use up! LOL!! I guess they didn't think ahead - they are giving them away to anyone who will take them.

And props to Savannah for taking the "ugly" one. What a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Mylinda, you had some baby chicks. Remember? Our dog didn't want to hurt them either. He just played with them until only 1 was left...TetraZeenie, who was a rooster. Wait until Nicky is trying to sleep and the rooster starts crowing! So chickens now; a goat must be next.

Oh, yes, I very well remember Levi in the dryer. Never a dull moment with Levi around. It should be fun having him at my house once he discovers the creek. fun..fun..fun. lol Mom C.