Thursday, July 03, 2008

It's Real Life...again!



















Well, this week's Real Life challenge is...interesting, to say the least. I'm usually somewhat careless about taking my pictures, not really caring what is in the backgrounds. But, this week, I was much more careful. lol I had to be very specific with my photos so as not to terrify you with the messiness of my bedroom! lol So, here goes...
*Under the bed
*What's in and on your dresser
*What's on your night table
*The pictures/decorations
*What you love about it
*What you hate about it
*What makes it uniquely you
*What you sleep in

Ok, so this is under my bed: nothing. This bed was originally a waterbed frame, which we replaced last year. It now has a regular mattress, but still the same plywood frame on the bottom, so we can't put anything under there. I guess that's a good thing, right??

This is my dresser, in all it's glory. Nicky has his own dresser, but it's full of "guy" stuff like bullets, hats, belt buckles, and other misc. stuff. So, in essence, we use mine for the everyday stuff like hairspray, deodorant, brushes, etc. What's in my dresser is clothes. But, I do have one drawer that has some other stuff like hair bows, misc. costume jewelry, perfume, extra makeup (hidden from my teen daughters! shh, don't tell.), my workout gloves, misc. old letters, and the kids' Christmas stockings. Not really a junk drawer, as per last week, but more of a storage for known stuff. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! lol)
This is my night table, complete with baby monitor, "treasure box" full of great sentimental values, a clown my great grandmother made, a clock, and my iPod (conveniently missing the headphones, which one of the girls absconded to camp with!).
Some of our decorations: These are my favs- pix of the girls and boys at young ages. Also, a "mother" saying thing, with the girls' kindergarten grad. tassels and a picture of a gnarled tree with Romans 5:3 (look it up) from my friend, Linda.

This is a painting another great grandmother painted the year I was born. I used to have one with purple flowers in an old coke bottle that she painted, also the year I was born. Now that was my painting. Unfortunately, it was lost in Hurricane Andrew, so I keep this one in it's place.

These are on my side of the bed. The big one was a wedding gift, from this wonderfully talented woman who also made my wedding cake. She hand printed Numbers 6:24-26, which was Aaron's blessing, along with our names and wedding date. She also actually hand cut all the shapes out around the edges with an exacto/craft knife. It's beautiful and also went thru H. Andrew, but luckily we were able to salvage it, with only a little damage. The other thing to the right is a cute plaque from one of my best friends. It has her name and mine with two old ladies in green and purple dresses (our favorite colors!!) and has a cute saying about being friends until we're 103. Fun to look at and remind me of friends.

This is also one of my favs. It's a little wooden plaque Nicky and I got at the county fair the very first year we were dating, 21 years ago. It also lasted thru Andrew, with probably the least amount of damage. I still like to look at it.

Ok, so what I love about my room. Well, that's a hard one, but I think it's the bed. It's a wooden four-poster with a wooden canopy. It's also king sized and is like a fort. When you're in it, it feels like you're in a fort, protected from the world. I don't know why, and I guess that seems kinda dumb, since all the sides are actually open, but what can I say? I like it. :-)

Now, what I hate about it: Ammo boxes everywhere!! Arg!! Behind the door....

along the walls....everywhere! There's more, too, but I didn't want to keep putting pix of that! Arg! Another thing I hate is that my furniture set is so large and heavy (which I also actually like) that I can't just rearrange the furniture whenever I want. That's frustrating. I think it's a love/hate relationship with my furniture!!

And, what makes it uniquely mine? Well, on the underside of the wooden canopy, there are mirrors. Yes, mirrors. Don't ask me, Nicky picked this bed out years and years ago. I couldn't take a picture without the flash blinding the picture, so I had Indy lay on my bed so you could see him in the mirrors. There are 6 panels of mirrors, each about 2'x3'. They can be fun, but definitely a pain to clean! Try standing on a waterbed to clean those!! But, now it's better with our regular mattress.

Well, that's it. That's where the magic happens. Hope you had fun seeing my messy, but homey room. Check out other people's magic rooms on Farm Fresh, and see how yours compares. Hey, better yet, show us how yours compares...if you dare.

Wow! These real life things are getting more real by the week, aren't they? See ya soon! :-)

5 comments:

Joy said...

I had to laugh when I saw the mirrors! Definitely the best part, hmm??? I also like the canopy!!! VERY cozy!

If your hubby is handy he could make drawers under your bed (just cut out rectangles and put in drawers) for his stuff that's everywhere!). Just a thought!

Michelle Jamie said...

I think half the men in the world would love the idea of having mirrors on their bed. !!

Anne Elizabeth said...

I like the canopy!

gina said...

Love your bed frame! I don't think I could take those mirrors on a daily basis though. ;)

Unknown said...

That is great furniture! You are a good wife to put up w/ the ammo boxes. When we were dating, Kevin did the same thing--and had his gun racks on the wall & cap racks galore. Fortunately, he didn't put up too much a fuss about getting girlified.

Mirrors. Hmmm...