Ok, so I don't celebrate or really even care about the summer solstice, except for one thing: It's the beginning of days getting shorter! Yippee! I know, most of you are thinking I'm nuts, but I truly do have motive. You see, when the days are long, it makes my days so much longer and more challenging. Just try putting a preschooler to bed at 8pm when it's still bright outside. And, I know most of you have. The poor kids just don't get that it's still their bedtime, even thought it's daylight outside. How can you explain this?? So, basically, I just tell them it is bedtime and they have to go to bed now and too bad if they don't like it. (Well, I don't always say that, but I sure feel it!!! lol)
On top of the arduous bedtime thing, when the days are longer, it seems we stay outside so much later, thus making dinner later, thus making cleaning up the kitchen later. And, by the time I'm finally finished getting everything done, it's almost 10:00! WHERE did my relaxing evening go?? Bummer. See, when the days are shorter, we come in, eat, and clean up earlier, and I'm ready for a relaxing evening right after putting the boys to bed at 8 or so. I get the whole evening to do whatever I want!! It's awesome. Unfortunately, now that Congress had to step in, I'm getting even less of the shorter days. Argh. I know Nicky loves the longer days because every morning he leaves for work in the dark and since he gets home about 5:30 each day, he likes having some actual daylight left when he gets home. He hates going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark (or near dark). I understand this, but he still gets time "off" after work, unlike me. So, I still like the shorter days and I think I will for a long time to come.
Another good thing about today is that I feel like it's the halfway point of the year. I know it's not, officially, but as of today, I feel like I'm on the downswing toward Christmas. Whoohoo!! (Note my Christmas countdown on the sidebar!!) See, in 6 months, on the winter solstice, it will be only 4 days til Christmas. Now, THAT's exciting!! :-)
Ok, and I guess another good thing, probably more enjoyable for most of you than me, is the fact that today is the official start of summer. Yeah, yeah, I really don't care about that, since it's summer here most of the year, but I know a lot of other people really love summer. Ok, so enjoy it. No, I mean it: Have a wonderful, relaxing summer. Personally, I'm busy, busy, busy with projects around here I can't seem to get to during the school year. And, I'm doing pretty well at it, too, but boy, does summer seem to be going by fast. So, we'll see.
Well, I think I'm getting sidetracked from my post theme, but oh well, I'm just rambling away. I think there was something else I was going to talk about, but I can't, for the life of me, remember. I was rambling, hoping that I'd remember, but it's not working. So, I guess I'll stop now. If I remember, I'll try to get back on here, but if not, I'll talk to you later.
Ok, bye-bye. Have a great weekend!
Mylinda :-)
PS-Did ANY of you do the Real Life meme?? If not, all I have to say is: "You big chickens!!" lol Next time I'll have to tag you individually! You'll never escape! Bwahaha! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree w/ you on the getting kids to bed later. Horrors. It's 8:15 and mine are still talking themselves to sleep. Plus DH works LOOOONG hours in the summertime, so he's hardly ever here before the girls are in bed anyway. Long days for me too.
We'll be doing another "It's Real Life"! Stay tuned!
Oh my, I can't believe you don't like the longer days. I LOVE them, lol. But then I didn't make my kids go to bed early when they were little. I'd let them stay up and then I'd just stay up that much later. We'd all sleep in later (except hubby) and we all loved summer. Hee hee.
What a fun meme. If I can squeeze it in, I am game.
Post a Comment