Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Urgent Care...again

We interrupt this vacation for breaking news...

Well, once again I ended up in the urgent care center with a child. Hey, it's been at least 6 weeks since the last time, so I'm due. :-) This time it was Levi, big surprise there, huh?? lol


So last night while I'm washing dishes, about 8pm, the boys were out back happily playing in the dirt with little cars. They were barefoot, as usual, which, btw, is a no-no here, but they keep slipping out without shoes or take them off once they're outside. Anyhoo, I glance out the kitchen window and see Levi running toward the back door, crying. I go to the back door to meet him, where I meet Indy yelling that Levi got hurt. Somehow he cut the bottom of his foot pretty good. He says it was a rock, but Nicky thinks it was a piece of copper tubing over where the boys aren't even supposed to be. Anyway, there was a lot of blood and once I got him into the bathroom, got it cleaned up a little, I realized I wouldn't be able to clean it out well enough to avoid infection since it was really deep and there was like tiny gravel in it. Yuck. We got the bleeding slowed down and I stuck a band aid on it so it wouldn't bleed on my car! :-)


By the time we got to the urgent care center, he was completely calm and showing his boo boo to anyone who would look. The triage nurse gave him 4 Ironman stickers, which he was very happy about and planned to share with Indy. Then, when the dr. came in, Levi told him all about the incident. It was hilarious and the dr. immediately loved him! He kept saying "Oh my God. How old is he?" or "He's only 3??" After he looked at it and brought all the stuff in to work on it, he called in a female nurse and when she came in, the dr. told her to talk to him (so she could see how funny he was). Levi gladly told her that he stepped on rock and then it was glass and it broke him and there was huge blood. She cracked up and she fell in love with him. Finally, we laid him down so they could work, and I was facing Levi's face, holding his upper body and arms, talking to him, not really watching what they were doing. I did, know, however, that they were going to give him a shot to numb the area, so I was distracting Levi. Well, the female nurse was beside me, holding down his leg with the injured foot, so the dr. could work, but she didn't hold down his other leg, which, when the dr. put the shot in, jerked up and kicked the dr.'s hand, bending the needle!! Hello, he's 3. Hold down his leg!! Argh. Thank goodness the needle didn't break off into his foot!! Finally, we got him re situated and a new needle and he must have shot him 4-5 times in the area, because Levi was screaming the whole time. Another female nurse came in to help and told him she would bring him some cookies and juice since he was being so brave. Finally he was numb and we could all relax a little. I glanced down to see what the dr. was doing and he was stitching him up. I figured they'd butterfly it, not stitch it. So, I'm really glad I took him. He ended up with 4 stitches. Anyway, the first nurse (that didn't hold his leg down) told him that he was being so brave she would let him look in her drawer and pick out his own stickers. Then, just a minute later, the second nurse came back with 5 bags of cookies and a juice box and 3 or 4 sets of stickers for him. (Do you think he made some friends there?? lol) Finally, the dr. and first nurse left and the second nurse finished cleaning him up and wrapping the wound. When she finished up, Levi said, "Thank you so much." She started laughing and said you're welcome.

As we were leaving, the whole staff in the front area said, "Bye, Levi." and waved to him. He said goodbye and all I could think was: "Well, I'm sure you'll see him again." lol I'm telling you, Never a Dull Moment!! :-)

Blessings,

Mylinda :-)

PS-Tomorrow more vacation, barring any more unforseen incidents. :-)

3 comments:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

LOL!! I have to tell you as I was scrolling down and could see that there were pictures coming up, I thought to myself, "If she stopped and took pictures of that poor child's foot as he lay bleeding on the floor, I will die laughing."

Happily, you saved the camera for after the crisis.

I'm sure he totally charmed them. He's so darn adorable. I could just eat him up! Hope he feels better soon.

Mylinda said...

Well,I normally would have, but I figured it might be too much for some peoples' stomachs. lol So, I thought I'd just take these and then when they open the dressing, I'll get a good one of the stitches. Am I morbid, or what? But, hey, I'm not boring!! lol

Truth said...

Ah, he is a cutie. I remember times like this and it seems we just couldn't stay away from urgent care.