Sunday, June 01, 2008

Recipes

Here's a couple of the recipes I'm making this week....

Saucy Beef over Rice

1 Reynolds oven bag, large
1 Tbsp. flour
2- 14 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/2 C. water
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. beef sirloin steak, cut up into thin strips
2 C. hot cooked rice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (ok, people, help! How do I make the degree symbol??)
Shake flour in bag; put in 13x9 baking dish.
Add tomatoes, soup, water, & pepper to bag. Squeeze bag to blend in flour. Add beef strips to bag. Turn to coat beef with sauce. Arrange ingredients in an even layer.
Close bag with tie. Cut 6- 1/2 " slits in top.
Bake until tender, 40-45 min.
Serve over rice.

* This is a really easy recipe and most of the family likes it. The original recipe calls for only one can of tomatoes, but it makes much less. Our crew really needs the two cans, and even allows for some leftovers for Nicky's lunch. If you have less people, use only one can. This recipe seems to be a pretty forgiving recipe, so play with it to make it your own. They also sell turkey sized oven bags, so you could get one of those and just double the recipe if needed. I think I'd cook it a little longer, though.



Onion-Roasted Potatoes

1 envelope onion soup mix
4 medium all-purpose potatoes, cut into large chunks
1/3 C. olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In 13x9 baking dish, combine all ingredients until evenly coated.
Bake uncovered, stirring occasionally, 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown.

* This recipe is from the back of the Lipton onion soup mix box. (I buy the stuff in bulk!! lol) We really like it. I do use more like 6 potatoes, though, with the same amount of soup mix and olive oil. And, I cut them into med. sized chunks. I also do the mixing/coating in a bowl before hand to get them well-coated, then move them to the baking dish. This is also easy, and delicious!

One more "recipe"....


Baked Ziti

1 package ziti noodles
1 lb. ground beef
2 C. shredded mozzarella
26 oz. can spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees ( I think I do between).
Cook noodles according to package and drain.
Brown ground beef in pan and drain.
Pour spaghetti sauce into ground beef and throw in some mozzarella; mix well.
Add noodles (the amount you want. I don't usually use them all.) to the spaghetti mix. Add more mozzarella.
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. Top with more mozzarella and bake til cheese is melted.

* Ok, so the reason the instructions are somewhat vague is because I kinda made this recipe up. I'm sure there are similar recipes out there, but one day I had this stuff on hand and just put it together. Again, a pretty forgiving dish, so play with it. But, it's good and easy and one of those things you can just throw together and it's kinda like spaghetti so the kids might like it.

Well, I hope you get some ideas from these recipes and if you use any of them, please LMK how you liked them.
Happy Cooking!! :-)

No comments: