Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hurricane Season

Tomorrow's the big day. A holiday? Nope. The beginning of Hurricane Season. A day that stands in infamy....every year. The dreaded day. Hurricane Season lasts until Nov. 30 and you have no idea how big our sigh of relief is on Dec. 1st!!

I have bought some food and plan on getting bottled water beginning next week. I have duct tape, but still need big black plastic bags. I have clorox bleach, but still need to get batteries. We have propane for our lanterns and a gas stove (good for when the power goes out) and propane for the grill. They tell you to get what you need to take care of yourself for 3 days. You'll be on your own, so be prepared.

Every year the tv and radio stations come out with their version of a "hurricane preparedness" brochure which includes a list of things to do before, during, and after a hurricane. It also always has a little map so you can plot any incoming storms. It also usually has the current list of storm names. It's a nice little thing to pick up as a reminder (for us veterans) or as a true preparedness helper for the newbies. I guess we've prepared so many times and pretty much know what we need, so we just do it, ya know? We always fill up our portable gas cans when a storm is heading this way for our generator, so we can run the freezer and fridge and tv. Some people run the a/c on their generators, but that's a little over the top for us. We can survive for a couple days with fans.

Anyway, even though we're prepared, I still hate June 1st. Of course, Nicky loves June 1st. That's the day he can buy his new hunting license!! lol Tomorrow I will have just a little cloud over my head, but I must say that as the years pass by and it gets further and further from August 24, 1992 (Hurricane Andrew), I am relaxing just a little more each year. So, I'll probably be ok, but you can bet I won't forget the date!!

2 comments:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

You know, even from over here, I've been thinking about the approach of June 1. It's burned into my psyche! It is a nice change not to have to do all the preparation, let me say.

Anonymous said...

Once you've been through an "Andrew" storm you never forget. As you prepare, I hope it is all in vain and that you don't need any of the prep. But just remember, if you need it, there is always a place in NC for you. love, Mom