Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tragedies

We've had more tragedies than usual this week.

Tragedy #1-Last Saturday, Indy's little baby water turtle died. Indy was crushed. Our neighbor found this little turtle in his back yard in the grass. It's a water turtle and my neighbor has no pond or other water area. We couldn't, for the life of us, figure out how that little turtle ended up in his back yard with his rottweiler! But, Nicky says that a bird probably had picked it up and was flying with it and dropped it. Sounds logical. Anyway, Indy was very sad and wants to get another one from the pet shop. We'll see.

Tragedy #2- Today we had to take one of our dogs to the Humane Society. We have this little old basset hound. We kept him. We also have a black lab/rott mix named Roxy. She's the one who went. We found her about 15 mos. ago (well a neighbor kid did and brought her to us) when she was approx. 3 mos. old. She's a sweet dog, but has always seemed to me to be a little "off". I can't explain that, but it's just something I noticed. In the last few months, she's made a "friend" (another dog) in the neighborhood, and the two of them escape their respective homes and roam the streets. I don't think it's responsible pet ownership to allow your dogs to roam, so we've had to keep her tied up. That really stinks because we have a 6 foot wood fence around a fairly big yard, with another dog, little boys, lots of toys, turtles, and lots of room to run. So, it's not like she's bored. But, I digress. Roxy and her "friend" have been causing lots of trouble in the neighborhood lately. They even attacked one of my other neighbor's dogs, while he was walking her, AND pulling his little 2 yo daughter in the wagon. Luckily, his dog, brought Roxy and her "friend" into the street and away from the little girl so no one was hurt. But, she could have been, and that's enough reason to go right there. I think, though, worse than the digging out and running away and roaming the streets and attacking other dogs, is that every time I walk out the back door, I have to see her on the chain. And, I don't want to have to see that for the next 10-12 years. That's no life. So, in Feb. we told Savannah she'd have to find a home for Roxy. She tried a couple times, but not too much, I guess thinking we'd forget and let her stay. Wrong. And, now we have these two extra puppies, so we're getting full. Nicky finally told her last night that someone had to go....tomorrow (today)...either Roxy or the puppies. So, we drove to at least 3 rescue places and none of them panned out. It ended up we had to drive an hour north, into the next county, to drop her off at their Humane Society. It was awful (the experience, not the place). All the neighborhood kids showed up to say goodbye and comfort poor Savannah, while looking at me with disdain. Hopefully, Roxy will pass their health and friendliness tests and be put up for adoption, rather than euthanized, but luckily, we'll never know for sure. Roxy wasn't even sad. She just went right on in, as if this was some new adventure, wagging her tail all along, while Savannah cried. Sometimes being a mom is just too darn tough, huh? This evening, I opened the back door to look out and Roxy wasn't there. I'm so used to looking out and seeing her on the chain, wagging her tail at me. She would almost always get up and walk toward me, even if I didn't actually walk out the door. I wasn't before, but I'm sad now.

Tragedy #3- Well, thankfully, this wasn't a real tragedy. My MIL ended up in the hospital this morning because she was dehydrated. Apparently, she's had a cold and not been able to keep anything down and had gotten very weak. But, at the end of the day, they let her go home, all hydrated, and she's happy now. So, at least that one had a happy ending.

Ok, so that was 3 tragedies in a week. I'm done, right? They come in three's, right? No more, right? Right? I sure hope so, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow.
Mylinda :-)

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's quite a week you had. I hope you take some time to rest this Sunday.

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

So sorry to hear about Roxy. My kids were shocked too. They are loyal readers of yours, you know. I can only imagine poor Savannah. But I think you made the right call. Or Nicky did.

Glad your mil is ok. That must have been a scare. I hope she keeps up her strength.

Poor Indy!! Daniel had turtles before and once one died and he cried for days. It was awful. Maybe he can get another one? They are generally pretty hardy.

Miss you!

Unknown said...

I hope this is all for several months!