Have you ever seen this movie? It's about a Catholic family, who were raising their 10 children during the 1950's and 60's. The father was an alcoholic with serious self-esteem issues and the mom was gifted with words in such a way that she actually helped support the family by winning numerous contests where she had to write jingles for commercials. It is a drama with several comical moments and is becoming one of my favorite movies. Even though the dad doesn't treat the mom or family very well and feels belittled when the mom keeps winning these contests, the family survives. It is based on a true story and at the end of the movie, all the real life kids are in the last scene, as adults closing up their parents' home.
Now, it doesn't sound like that outstanding of a movie, but there is something about it that is amazing. What is that? It's the mom's attitude. She always has a positive attitude. She is always uplifting and encouraging her children. She always keeps a positive attitude when the dad is mean and goes on one of his drunken tirades. She never places blame on others, even though they truly deserve it. And, she's always happy. It's not fake, either. You can really see how she struggles to keep the atmosphere of her home positive, but she ultimately chooses to keep it positive over and over, even in the midst of her personal turmoil. And, most notable of all, to me anyway, is that there is a lot of laughter in this home. It makes you just wonder in awe at how this family can laugh so much when there is such upheaval all the time.
When I watched this movie the first time, I immediately wanted to watch it again just because I was so amazed at the mom! Her life was hard, but she was always smiling. As a matter of fact, in one scene, her husband was ranting in drunkenness, and fussing at her, which she was promptly ignoring, and he finally busts out with this: "Do you know what your problem is??" She says, "No. What's my problem?" He replies with, "You're just too damn happy!!" She, the children, and he all stop for a moment, then all burst out laughing. It was so funny! But, boy, what an encouragement to me to be a more positive, happy, fun mom. Even in her difficult circumstances she was like that and I have nowhere near her situation and yet, it's difficult for me to keep that type of positiveness about me. Why? I think watching that movie isn't discouraging, but encouraging for me. I like to watch it so I can be reminded of ways I can be positive and encouraging to my children.
Anyway, it's a great movie and I highly recommend you watch it. If you do, let me know what you think of it.
Have a great weekend!
Mylinda :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi there,
I love that movie. I only saw it once and want to see it again. But she is a shining example. YOu are right if she can find a way to be so happy with her grim sistuation I'm sure I can be happy in mine with food in my fridge and a loving supportive husband. I hope my kids start to accuse me of being to damn happy. See ya later.
I've seen clips of this movie, but never really seen it. I guess I'll have to put it on my to get to list.
But you are right - happiness is a choice we make. Someone is always worse off than us, right? It's all in our attitude.
I just put it on hold at the library. And in my search discovered it's a book as well, so put that on hold too!
Post a Comment