Monday, August 13, 2007

The Peace that Passes Understanding

One of my children has come to a "crisis of faith". I think it odd that someone so young can come to this point already, but I guess that's a sign of the times. I think all believers come to their own "crisis of faith" at one time or another; I know I did, but I was already grown. The "crisis of faith" I speak of is when a true believer begins to listen to the lies of the enemy and questions all that they believe. "Is is all true?" "Am I choosing the right god?" "What if the other way is the right way and I'm missing it?" "How do I know it's all true? Where's the proof?" "Why do I believe what I believe?"

When this child shares with me how she is feeling, I want to just shake her and say, "Don't you know??" but alas, I must sit and listen and affirm my love and understanding to where she is spiritually. It's so hard to face that you can't make their choice for them. If you do, their belief is not their own and it won't last. So, in the meantime I have to sit by and watch as she struggles through this to the other side. The other night as we talked, well, she talked and I listened, I began to pray in my spirit: "Please let me say the right thing. Give me the right words. I claim Prov. 22:6. Save this child and don't let the enemy get her. Become real to her and make yourself known to her." The words I heard in my spirit were: "Just wait." The meaning I understood was: "Be patient. I'm working on her. I'm doing a great thing in her heart and spirit and she'll be ok. Trust me." And then I had it..... the Peace that Passes Understanding.

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:7 Thank you, Jesus!

There have been several times this summer that I've experience that peace. When it was only a couple months til Savannah went to school (high school) for the first time. I could have worried (and still can), but why? The Lord had very clearly given me His peace. Why force worry? When Nicky's job changed and we lost half his pay. I could have worried, but mercifully, the Lord gave me His peace. When our construction has hit snags. I could have worried, but why? I'm grateful for the wonderful new windows and a/c and fence we have, and I have peace. A few days ago when Levi walked out the front door and down to the neighbors' house and we didn't know where he was. Again, the Lord gave me His peace. Typically, I would get a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach at any or all of these things, but the feeling never came. The Lord just gave me peace.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

People pray for peace in the world, but I already have peace. Thank you, Lord, for the peace you give me every day that truly does pass understanding.

2 comments:

Amy said...

WOW!Thanks for the reminder and sharing the peace. I will pray for your daughter.

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I'm praying for you for wisdom and for Savannah - that God will draw her to himself and woo her heart.