When we went camping, the first hour, yes, first hour, Levi was playing with the hammer Nicky was using to put in the tent stakes. He was hammering the ground and on one of the swings over his head, he stabbed the back of his head with the claw. Yes, he was bleeding, but true to being the mother of four, I looked at it, grabbed some ice from the ice chest, rubbed it on the injury, and determined that a hospital run was unnecessary. He was fine.
About 6 hours later, Indy tripped over the corner of the tent (not the string), and fell. When he fell, his arm hit Nicky's wood splitter (a metal chisel-type thing), which was laying on the ground nearby. He cried, of course, but there was no bruising at all and very little swelling. He didn't develop a fever nor throw up. There were none of the telltale signs of a broken bone. Once again we decided to forgo the ER run and see how he was the next day. I gave him Tylenol before bed to help with the pain.
The next day there was still no swelling or bruising. He was favoring it a little, telling me he was being brave, and yet, still playing with all the other kids. So, who knows? We just kept watching. Later, we finally decided it probably wasn't broken. Finally, that night, after arriving home, when I was bathing the boys, I touched his arm and he screamed. Ok, I finally conceded and decided to take him to the doctor the next morning.
Monday morning we went and had an x-ray done. There was, in fact, a tiny fracture. He was splinted, wrapped, and given a little, tiny sling. (It's so cute!) Anyway, I had to get an appointment for an orthopedic and arrange for a referral from the pediatrician. Whew! The next morning we saw the orthopedic and he confirmed the finding and allowed Indy to get a special brace instead of a real cast. This is great because we can remove it for bathing, instead of covering it in plastic! Yay! Anyway, that's where we are on that. He goes again next Tuesday for another x-ray.

We had Wednesday off, then had more injuries on Thursday...yes, more! Argh. Apparently, while I was picking up Savannah at school (and Ashton was watching them), the boys were wrestling on their bed and Levi bonked the back of his head on the bed frame and cut it open. She panicked and called me, but by the time I got home, it had stopped bleeding. Then, about 6 o'clock, Levi was climbing on the dining table chair and fell off, hitting the back of his head (in the same spot!) on the wooden tv trays nearby! Man, we can't cut a break!! lol I looked at it and it was oozing the clot from earlier, right out the back of his head...ewww! So, we applied pressure and took him to the urgent care. After cleaning him all up, they saw that the cut was tiny, so no stitches. Whew! Also, we had thought that when he hit his head on the bed it reopened the hammer injury, but we realized when they cleaned him up, that it was a whole new one! That boy! lolThankfully, everyone is ok now. We're waiting for the next injury. Sigh...
1 comment:
Oh my gosh!!!!!
First of all, big hugs to your boys for being such brave little guys. Tell Indy how lucky he is - Emily would have loved to have had that brace rather than her cast. The whole covering it for showers thing got old very fast.
Levi stabbed himself in the head with the claw of a hammer?!?!? I have never heard of anyone else doing that ever! Poor guy!
One time I was jumping on the bed when I was little and hit the back of my head on the bed post. It needed stitches (or so the doctor said). I think he was just a sadist. I mean, are three stitches really worth even bothering for?!?!
Glad they are both still alive and kicking!
Merry Christmas, my friend!!!
Post a Comment