
Usually Nicky and I go to vote together and it's usually after he gets home from work. However, after hearing about the incredible wait times, I told him he was on his own and I was going whenever I could! lol
Now I don't know about you or where you live, but the wait times to vote here (for early voting) have been ranging from 1-4 hours. I decided to go this last Thursday during the mid-morning hours, thinking the lines might be a little shorter. They were and I was in and out in merely an hour and a half. lol But, what I really wanted to do here is tell you about the experience, not whine about the time.
So I go to my local library (read: early voting location) and join the long line outside on the sidewalk. I waited there for about 20 minutes. We finally went inside to the children's area where they had rows and rows of folding chairs set up. We played musical chairs (not literally, of course) in that area for about another 25 minutes. And, to my surprise, they had many stacks of bottled water that they offered to all of us. I found this rather comical. I guess it struck me funny because Nicky and I vote in every, single election, even those with one measly topic, and I have never been so coddled when going to vote. Anyhoo, they then filed us into another room with more rows and rows of folding chairs, where we once again played musical chairs, for another 15 minutes or so. Finally, they moved us upstairs, where we once again found several rows of folding chairs. I guess we waited there for another 10-15 minutes. After that, we moved into the final waiting area for a 10-15 minute wait. Now we were just outside the polling room. We moved into the room where I presented my i.d., received my ballot, and voted. I finally exited the library a short hour and a half later.
Funny enough, Nicky went the very next day, at the same time of day, to the same library, and his wait time was 3 hours. Boy, I'm glad I went when I did! lol But, seriously, I was very pleased with the organization and smoothness of the whole thing. The poll workers were mostly polite and no one got upset or lost their temper. So it was good.
Now, have you voted yet? If so, how was your experience? How long did you have to wait? And did you vote early? Or today? Did they have water for you? Was this your first time voting? Or are you an old pro? Whatever your political leanings, I hope you will get out there today and make your voice heard. This is a privilege and civic responsibility we have as citizens of this great country. We should never take it for granted, as many, many good people have fought and died to preserve this freedom. So get out there and vote! And, in the mean time.... PRAY! :-)

Now I don't know about you or where you live, but the wait times to vote here (for early voting) have been ranging from 1-4 hours. I decided to go this last Thursday during the mid-morning hours, thinking the lines might be a little shorter. They were and I was in and out in merely an hour and a half. lol But, what I really wanted to do here is tell you about the experience, not whine about the time.
So I go to my local library (read: early voting location) and join the long line outside on the sidewalk. I waited there for about 20 minutes. We finally went inside to the children's area where they had rows and rows of folding chairs set up. We played musical chairs (not literally, of course) in that area for about another 25 minutes. And, to my surprise, they had many stacks of bottled water that they offered to all of us. I found this rather comical. I guess it struck me funny because Nicky and I vote in every, single election, even those with one measly topic, and I have never been so coddled when going to vote. Anyhoo, they then filed us into another room with more rows and rows of folding chairs, where we once again played musical chairs, for another 15 minutes or so. Finally, they moved us upstairs, where we once again found several rows of folding chairs. I guess we waited there for another 10-15 minutes. After that, we moved into the final waiting area for a 10-15 minute wait. Now we were just outside the polling room. We moved into the room where I presented my i.d., received my ballot, and voted. I finally exited the library a short hour and a half later.
Funny enough, Nicky went the very next day, at the same time of day, to the same library, and his wait time was 3 hours. Boy, I'm glad I went when I did! lol But, seriously, I was very pleased with the organization and smoothness of the whole thing. The poll workers were mostly polite and no one got upset or lost their temper. So it was good.
Now, have you voted yet? If so, how was your experience? How long did you have to wait? And did you vote early? Or today? Did they have water for you? Was this your first time voting? Or are you an old pro? Whatever your political leanings, I hope you will get out there today and make your voice heard. This is a privilege and civic responsibility we have as citizens of this great country. We should never take it for granted, as many, many good people have fought and died to preserve this freedom. So get out there and vote! And, in the mean time.... PRAY! :-)

4 comments:
read my blog and I will tell you my experience. :)
I voted the first day of early voting. It was very painless! I had a wait of about 10-15 minutes, while the kiddos played on a playground not too far away. I'm thankful that I went then because the lines are 10x worse now! Who knew?lol
HI there, We just voted at our neighborhood club house start to finish was only 1 hour. It was very noisy thought and not very well organized. Poll works telling people to go here and go there. But I'm so happy this is Kevin and I's first time voting in a Presidential election.
I voted early at our county administration building. I voted about 8 days before the election. I went with 2 friends. One of them was in front of me and that's all the wait I had. I, like you, always vote. In 42 years of voting I have missed one election and was very upset about that.
It is worth remembering that people in Iraq, voting for the first time, stood in line under threats of shootings & IEDs. Also, many of our soldiers have died to maintain our right/privilge/responsibility to vote.
And one more thing before I get off my soapbox. Every vote counts. And if you want my "One Vote Counts" lecture, just let me know. God Bless America! Mom
Post a Comment