Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Veteran's Day, 2008

It just so happened that the traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall was in downtown Miami on Veteran's Day. So we made an adventure and rode the metro rail into downtown to go see it. When I was 18 I visited Washington, D. C. and saw the real Memorial. It made quite an impression. I decided the kids should see the replica since I don't know when (or if) they'll get to see the real thing.
This a view of the wall. There are over 58,000 names of dead or missing soldiers from the U.S. on that wall. That's a lot of sacrifice.
Here's the kids, plus Juan.
There were a lot of veterans there.


This was on the side of a nearby war memorial. I thought it was appropriate given the state of the US right now.
These are some pictures of stuff I saw that day. There was a little playground right in the middle of the city. I let the boys play for a little bit.
There was a police horse in a trailer. See him sticking his head out the door?

Here were the mounted officers. We got to pet the horses.
We found this funny looking wave statue! It had a dolphin (by Levi), a sea turtle (by Indy), and a manatee. It was pretty cool.

This was right by the water's edge. That's Ashton by the boys.
Waiting for the train.

Levi on the train.
When Nicky got home that night, Indy said, "Daddy, we had the most awesome adventure today!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And Indy was so right!