Thursday, January 04, 2007

Always an adventure...

Well, guess what I did yesterday?? During the day, I took Nicky's deer head to the taxidermist. Oh, joy, joy! Now, what other wife do you know who would do that? :-) Actually, I never touched the thing. I took it in an ice chest and the guy took it out and even emptied the ice/water for me. That was oh so kind of him. :-) Then, last night, instead of taking the girls to Old Navy, like I was supposed to do, I helped butcher the deer. Well, again, not really, as my job is to wrap the meat, as it is cut up, in freezer paper, mark it, and put it in the freezer. The really sad thing is that I've done that so many times that I actually know the names of the parts he's cutting up. He pulled out a piece to cut up and I went to see how large of a piece of paper I'd need and said, "Oh, backstrap, right?" He said, "Yeah", with a big smile on his face. He was so proud of me! :-)

Savannah is 13 and I'm really struggling with her fight for independence. I'm definitely an elementary kid person. You tell them what to do, they do it or they get into trouble. There's no emotional battle; there's no bout for leadership (and when there is, it's usually easily quelled). I told my mom the other day that part of me just can't wait til the girls are thru these teen years and "safely" married (read: on their own and no longer my responsiblitly). Now, don't get me wrong, I love them dearly and would do anything for them, as you know yourself, and I actually am kind of enjoying seeing them become their own people right before my very eyes. BUT, it's very difficult. And, I constantly worry that I'm not giving them enough "God" (and all that encompasses) to sustain them into adulthood and as they make their own life's decisions. Anyway, (I didn't say all that to my mom, just the safely married part.) her response was, "Yes, but then you don't have any control either. You can occasionally make comments or give advice, but you have to be careful and you can only sit by and watch as they make choices, good and bad." Boy, did that throw me for a loop! I've always known that in my head and thought it would be easier to have that than this, but it really hit home that day and I think that must be a very big.... "worry", maybe? It's been on my mind and last night I finally was able to sit and read December's Focus on the Family magazine and Dobson wrote and article that really struck me. He said, (about his children) "...ultimately, their decisions would be left between them and God. The realization that there would be things in their lives that I could not control or influence represented a burden to me that was almost backbreaking. I began praying earnestly that the Lord would be there at the crossroads when (his children) were beyond my reach and facing decisions that would affect the rest of their lives." Whew! God spoke right to my heart. I pray for my kids most everyday, about many aspects of their lives, but never this. The Lord really laid on my heart to pray this specifically for them. Now, I know I am doing the best I can in raising them, and that God has to make up for my lack, but I think He was giving me this task to pray, not only for their sakes, but for mine as well. How? Because, in praying this, and handing this over to Him, I am given peace. Peace knowing that now God's in charge of that area (yet another area I hand over to Him), and it's out of my hands. God is so gracious to us, if we will only listen, and accept His lead.

Sorry I'm rambling so long, but you know how it is when you're "venting". :-) The verse for today is: "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." Colossians 3:2

PS- My first two days at Curves went great and I'm sore as all get out! Yea! I got a travel pass so I can go to the one near my mom's house while on vacation. How's that for dedication?? Bye!

3 comments:

April said...

Hi Mylinda,
Thanks for visiting my sight. Looks like you have the 2 older and 2 littles like we have. It's a bit like having two families, huh? My husband would be so impressed by that deer and that you know your cuts of meat!

Lisa in Jax said...

can so relate to the teen thing. It's hard to let them go but I keep trying to remember that I'd rather they make their mistakes now when they aren't so big then later when it counts.lol Just make sure that they suffer the consequences and they'll learn soon enough that we mean well and that sometimes it's easier to learn from other's mistakes instead of always your own.lol

I'm glad to see you writing! I really enjoyed your new entries.

Blessings,

Lisa

Emily Jennings said...

WOW, you are the woman...the whole deer thing. Ugh. Sounds so gross. I know my husband would LOVE for me to be willing to take his deer head to the taxidermist...but I am FAR from there.