Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Save Money & Be Green!

It's a win/win situation! Actually, I wouldn't call myself "green", but I guess the little things I do, count. Also, with the economy the way it is, I thought I'd share a couple of my money-saving tactics. I'm certainly not the most frugal person, nor the most disciplined, but I do pay attention to what I spend. So, without further ado.....

1. Make your own laundry soap. I know this sounds daunting, but it's really not. My neighbor & I wanted to try this a few months ago, so we searched the internet. She found this recipe, which I've copied from another friend's website, since my keyboard situation is still not rectified and I don't want to type all that. lol After we started using this recipe, we found out that it's a very popular recipe! It saves tons of money, costing literally just cents per load. Plus, it has waaay fewer chemicals than store-bought detergents. If you don't like this recipe or prefer powder detergents, just do an internet search. It's amazing what you can find!

FOR LAUNDRY SOAP:
We use Fels-Naptha bar soap, Washing Soda and Borax which can normally be found on the laundry or cleaning aisle.

4 Cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)


2. Do your own haircuts. Well, sort of. lol I only cut the boys' hair and I'm sure that's only for a limited time. I only get my and the girls' hair cut about once a year. So when the boys came along needing monthly (or so) haircuts, it was quite a shock to me. My friend had recently cut her 3 boys' hair for the first time and that inspired me. The next time I was at BJ's, I found a haircutting set for just $20...the cost of 2 haircuts! So, I bought it and have been cutting the boys' hair for about 2 years or so. I can't really say I "cut" their hair, but I do buzz cut it. No style except short. lol I'm sure the day is coming that they'll want a "real" haircut, but until then.... :-)


3. Use cloth napkins. When I was getting married I decided I wanted to use cloth napkins, rather than paper ones. I don't really remember why I wanted to use cloth napkins, except that I remember they felt nicer when you wiped your face. I found a linen store that sold napkins for $.50 each. Since it was just Nicky and me plus whatever guests we had, I would buy 4 of whatever patterns I liked. The few times I went to that store, I would buy about $5 or 6 worth. I still have some of those napkins, even through Hurricane Andrew! Anyway, somehow, several years ago, I moved away from using them. So, a few months ago, I went to Anna's Linens and found cloth napkins for $1 each. I bought two sets of 6 and we're using them again. I'm so happy! This is another way to save money and be green, though someone has yet to give me an intelligent reason as to why it's "more green" to use extra water to wash cloth napkins, than to "waste" trees using paper napkins. Personally, I just like cloth napkins better. lol


4. Eat healthy. Ok, so this is not so "money-saving", but I do have some ideas. First, even though I stink at this, I still try to grow some of my own food (veggies, herbs, etc.). I'm once again venturing into this, once again with high hopes. We'll see. The next best thing is that I am part of an organic veggies/fruits co-op. Since the biweekly payment (and amount of food) is too much for us, I split the payment and food share with a friend. This, by no means, provides all our fruits and veggies, but (1) it allows us to try new foods we wouldn't normally try and (2) provides us with some organic produce. Also, even though I would love to buy organic milk, it is simply too expensive and we consume too much of it per week. I had been buying my milk at BJ's becuse it is 10-20 cents cheaper than the grocery store, but a friend informed me that the grocery store's milk is produced without hormones. Well, for me, this is worth the extra few cents, so I'm back at the grocery store for milk. It's not completely organic, but even the absence of hormones is a big plus. Look around and check ingredients and you might be able to find some healthier choices within your budget.


5. Use reusable bags. Last year I bought 10 reusable bags at my grocery store for $. 99 each and let me say, that was a great investment. First, the bags are huge and very strong! Two gallons of milk won't fill a bag and it doesn't even seem to struggle under the weight. Plus, I've used them for trips, camping, the beach, library books, school activities and any number of other things. Also, I know Whole Foods (and probably some other places) will give you a percentage off your bill if you bring your reusable bags when you shop. Now, if I can just remember to put them in the car when I head out to Publix! lol


6. My final tip is about water bottles. I know many of you, like me, keep water bottles at home. Savannah likes to take one to school and we buy them for hurricane season. However, recently, I have been more conscientious about how many we use. I never let the kids have them while at home. Also, I personally, don't usually use them unless I will be someplace that it will be dfficult to carry around a reusable cup and I'll need to be able to get rid of it to keep my hands free. Oh, say, like anyplace I take Levi! lol J/K Seriously, though, we did hear someplace that it takes 2000 years for one plastic water bottle to decompose naturally. Is this true? I don't know. Last time I checked, there was no plastic 2000 years ago, so I assume they're theorizing. But, if it's only 1/10th true, that's still 200 years. (It is, isn't it?? Darn math! lol) So, I try to encourage the kids to use reusable cups as much as possible.


Now, let me just say, I am in no way an "envionmentalist" nor am I rabid about environmental issues. Actually, I'd much rather spend my energy fighting abortion, but I am a Christian, and with that comes certain responsibilities. One of those being, being a good steward of the reources God gave me, natural and monetary. So, I will recycle and do what I can in my little part of the world and teach my children, the best I can, to also be good stewards to do the same as they grow. Unfortunately, I don't see us having any organic chicken eggs anytime soon. Oh, I didn't tell you all the chickens died thanks to the "serial killer"? Well, that's a story for another time, but suffice it to say, we won't have any more chickens for at least a little while.

So, tell me one thing you do that's frugal or green or both. Come on, I know you're out there. Just share one thing, pretty please? We can all use some more tips!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First I have a question. Do you have to iron those cloth napkins to make them look like something other than a used napkin? Ironing is not a good thing.

I'll tell you a couple of things I do, although not necessarily for the environment. More for my own issues.

When I'm out or running errands I try to lay-out the order of my trip so as not to waste time & gas back-tracking. (I hate back-tracking.) Also I get my car tuned up on a regular basis. This helps prevent large problems and keeps my car running as efficiently as is will.

Also, every time I buy stamps (I always buy Forever stamps.) I set aside one strip of stamps. This is so when the price does go up I'll be working on the old stamps for a while. I have about 100 stamps set aside just now. (This idea may not help the environment, but it helps my purse.)

You only wanted a couple of tips. So that's it. later, Mom