Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fall Leaves

So, I told you my next entry would be called Fall Leaves, and as you can see, it is! The last few years, my mom has sent our kids a box, plumb-full, of genuine fall leaves from North Carolina. Most years, by the time she packs the box, the leaves are all brown, but this year was different. One of my grandmother's neighbor's tree had a huge pile of beautifully colored leaves on the ground. My mom stopped and asked her if she could have some of her leaves and the lady responded, "By all means. Take as many as you want." Big surprise, huh? I'd be happy to have someone come and take some of my leaves, too!! lol Anyway, she packed boxes for our kids and my brother's boys (who moved to Texas in October) and sent them in the mail. This was the first year Levi really got "into" throwing the leaves and it was so cute. I think he started throwing them before they finished opening the box!! But, Ashton was just absolutely fascinated with the colors. I think she just sat there picking out the most beautiful ones for about 5 whole minutes before she started the throwing! She wanted to keep them. And, since that day I was packing a box to go to the soldiers we support, Indy wanted to send them some of the leaves, too. So, they'll open the box and either think, "What's the deal with the leaves?" or "Leaves! Cool! I miss fall leaves!" We'll see. Funny enough, usually the day we open the leaves box, our yard miraculously seems to fill with the neighborhood kids, but since we opened it when Savannah got home (which is an earlier time than the younger kids), it was just us. Boy, do they love the leaves!

Unpacking the leaves, Ashton checks out all the colors very carefully, trying to decide which ones she's going to keep.....forever....because they're so beautiful, you know. :-) Levi's just happy to throw something he doesn't get into trouble for!! lol
Wheeee! Levi just loved throwing those leaves! Savannah's trying to decide who to attack first, while Indy is on his way over to her with a big handful.
I guess the first victim of Savannah will be Levi. Somehow I don't think he really cares. What do you think??
Check out the sidewalk. Who knew so many leaves could fit into one little box??
Isn't this the cutest picture? Just look at that little face. If that's not rapture, I don't know what is!
Then we have the ponderer...or maybe it's the zone-outer, who knows. Either way, you can see she's picked her special colored leaves.
Of course, if you ponder (or zone out) around here too long, you could be in trouble! Indy finally sees his chance and takes it. He's no dummy!! lol

Now Ashton gets Levi. I think by the end of it, everyone had gotten everyone else, even me! Boy, what fun! And, the neighbors commented on our fall leaves yard. "Where's the tree??" Who says you have to have a tree to get leaves?

Thanks, Mamo, for the fun time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

andrew was excited to see the box of leaves, but quickly got bored with them, but aaron on the other hand had a great time. i'll get some picts up soon.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Why is it that we Floridians are so fascinated with leaves? When I went to Missouri in Nov. 2006, I collected a bunch of red and yellow leaves and brought them home for my scrapbook. Looks like you had fun.