Just doesn't sound right, does it? Oh well, what can you say?
I absolutely loathe the beginning of hurricane season. Ever since Andrew, where we lost 99% of all we owned, including our home and car, my loathing has been more pronounced than it was before Andrew. But, I must say, each year the dread seems to be getting less....until the next major hurricane that hits us. Then it will start all over again.
I begin in March or April buying a little extra stuff each week to put aside for our hurricane supplies. My cabinets are getting full, which is good, but I am still not as "ready" as I'd like to be. Of course, from today until June 12, we get to buy hurricane supplies tax-free. Yea! Let's go shopping for batteries, flashlights, duct tape, etc! What fun! No, I'm being serious. Gotta buy 'em, might as well enjoy it, right?? :-)
The hurricane predictions have remained the same since April, calling for 17 named storms, 9 hurricanes, and 5 major ones, category 3-5. They said Florida's odds are good of getting hit. I know Florida's big, but if you've been hit before, badly, you always think they're coming to you no matter what. With the dying out of El Nino (our friend, who causes enough wind sheer to limit the development of most hurricanes) and the development of La Nina (our enemy, who loves to help hurricanes grow and grow), we are looking forward to an "active" year, as they put it. "I'm" not looking forward to an active year, but someone somewhere is.
So, we will just sit by and wait and see what's in store for us. Since we're making some improvements on the house this year, we'll probably get hit. Well, at least we have replacement cost on our insurance and the stuff will be pretty new, so we should get enough money to cover it. Of course, I'm talking like we're gonna get hit no matter what and that's just not true, but it's possible. So, until then, I'll go on with my life and watch the weather out of the corner of my eye and pray for rain (just rain) since we're actually in a drought right now.
It's comforting to know that God is actually in control of the weather, not the weathermen or hurricane predictors. It's comforting to know that He's got me (and my family) right in the palm of His hand, taking care of us no matter what happens. "H stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and He guided them to their desired haven Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men." Psalm 107:29-31
Trusting the Lord,
Mylinda :-)
Friday, June 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment