I heard a radio ad last night for Publix, which disturbed me then, and the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. It was for Publix "certified beef" with the dad bragging about grilling and then talking about using this special beef, which he kinda ad libbed and didn't really know much about. Then, as usual, his wife steps in and knows it all. She tells him (us) all about the beef and he acts like a goofball, saying something like, "Yeah, I knew that."
I don't know about you, but I am sick of seeing and hearing advertisements and tv shows where the dad is an idiot and the mom is the all-knowing, calm, resourceful voice of reason in the family. It's so distasteful to me that it's almost nauseating. It's like when you see a couple arguing in public, just demeaning each other to abandon, not even caring that everyone around is seeing and hearing it all. It's so embarrassing to me; I'd just like to escape quietly. I feel that way when I see those dumb dad shows/ads. Now, it's starting to make me angry.
Hey, Nicky is a goofball sometimes, but I know it's not his "real" self. He's just playing. He's the calm, resourceful voice of reason in our home. And, even though he *thinks* he's all-knowing, (lol) of course, he's not, he IS very smart. And, thankfully, he's very sensible, since I'm often kinda flighty. He plays and makes me laugh a lot, but he's not a goofball and he's not stupid, all of which I am very grateful for. And, I would venture to say, most men these shows and ads are supposed to be emulating are not stupid, either.
I hope people will see through the nonsense and respect their men. Unfortunately, I don't believe they do. Those dumb guys are just too "funny". Too bad our entertainment has to belittle our men.
"Our fathers trusted in You; They trusted, and You delivered them." Ps. 22:4
Let's honor our husbands and fathers tomorrow.
Blessings,
Mylinda :-)
Saturday, June 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, this bugs me too. In fact, there are certain tv shows, even cartoons, that I won't watch for that very reason. If they turned it around and made the mom stupid, there would be a huge uproar, but it's ok to make the men stupid. Ugh!
Post a Comment