I had a great idea that came about this way:
I was in the shower (Somehow I do great thinking in the shower. I think it's the quiet! lol) thinking about an article I had recently read, written by a man who was reminiscing about his childhood summers at his grandparents' farm. It got me to thinking about when I visited my grandparents' summer cottage in Connecticut, during my childhood, and all our adventures there. That reminded me of how my kids are constantly asking me to tell stories about when I was a kid. I thought, "I could tell them the story about the Pop Shop." That made me think that maybe I should start a new category on my blog called Memories wherein I write memories of my childhood. Like things my kids would love to hear. Maybe that would help me think of stories, since I always seem to get stumped when they ask for a story. THEN the idea struck me! (Like how my thinking goes on these rabbit trails all over the place?? It always happens to me.) Maybe I should print off all my blog entries and put them into a binder! Then, it would be like a book about our lives right now!
See, I scrapbook, but by the time I actually get pictures printed and put into the books, I've forgotten a lot of the details. Not to mention, I don't "scrap" things like the funny things the kids say because there's no picture to go with it. BUT, I do put little details of our lives, like things they say, when they play pretend, when they fall or dream or get sick or any number of other things, in my blog. And, I tend to do it when it's still fresh in my mind, so I get lots of clear details. There are many times I look back in my blog for a picture or date of something and start reading and say, "Oh, gosh, I forgot that happened." or "Man, I forgot about that!" and it's like reading a story of my own life. So, I decided to print off my blog entries. So far, I'm not all the way through 2007 and I've already got 72 pages. Yes, 72. I couldn't believe it! But, I can't wait to get it finished. I'm planning to put the pages into page protectors so the ink won't smear if something gets spilled. And, if I do start a Memories category and add some childhood memories, my kids will get to "hear" these stories.
Isn't that a great idea?? :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Great idea!
Oh...you're not alone in thinking when you're in the shower. Some of my best thoughts come when the water is drenching my work weary muscles!
And, mind if I borrow/share you wonderful memories idea? Brilliant!
There is a service where you can get this done, can't remember the name of it but I'll find it for you. You can get all your blog posts made into a book. easy peasy.
Kathy
Okay, here is some more info about it.
http://press-publisher-profiles.suite101.com/article.cfm/blog_to_book_with_blurb
Then, after you read that, go to
http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook
where you can read the prices and how-tos about it.
Kathy
That is a great idea, I love it! My father-in-law is 85. Since he lives close to us, occasionally he will remember a story that nobody has ever heard. It is wonderful, but I so wish we could capture it on video or audio, print, anything so it could be saved for everyone to hear. But it happens spontaneously and we don't want to lose the moment.
By-the-way, I do my best thinking in the shower too.
That is a great idea. Along with your scrapbooks you'll have a pretty complete family history.
As for your mind running on rabbit trails, you probably get that from your Mother. It amazes me sometimes how my thoughts get to a given subject from where I don't even know.
The book idea is real good, too. Mom
Mylinda, could you e-mail me at trenchesofmotherhood@yahoo.com to give me your address so I can send you your prize?
Post a Comment