We have this "homeless" guy (he's not really homeless, just lives in a VERY poor part of town), who comes to our house every now and then and washes Nicky's truck. Nicky gives him a few bucks and usually a soda. He's a nice guy, but I'm not extrememly comfortable around him. Nicky is a VERY good judge of character and he says the guy is harmless and is fine. I don't like him coming here when Nicky's not home and he usually doesn't. I think he knows I'm not comfortable, so if Nicky's truck is gone, he just keeps going (I've seen him). He never crowds the front door after knocking and never crowds me or the children. He's not agressive toward us at all. Last time he was here, he told me that of all the people he knows, Nicky is his "best friend". He said Nicky's "good people" and he'd do anything for Nicky, or us. He said "All Nick'd have to do is call me and I'd be right here for him."
Why am I telling you this? Well, yesterday he came by while Nicky was sleeping and I told him he couldn't talk to him right now. The guy said ok and asked for a sandwich. I kinda balked and repeated, "You want me to make you a sandwich?" He said, "Yeah. Please." I said, "Well, all I've got is peanut butter and jelly." "That's fine. Thanks. " I walked into the kitchen fussing profusely about....well, you can imagine about what! :-) All the while, complaining to God about why He can't just let this guy go away. Why does he have to keep hanging around us? I'm so tired of him coming here! And, funny enough, I believe I distinctly heard a "Little Voice" say, "When will you love him? What you do for the least of these....." You can imagine my shock and then my "but, but, but... I won't EVER love him." And then, "Then he'll never go away." I think there were some reminders about "feeding the poor" and "WWJD" and some other profound thoughts, but I'm not sure. It was all kind of a blur.
So, today I've been pondering these things in the back of my mind, since I'm too busy to *really* ponder them :-) and coming to the conclusion that our good Father is teaching me a lesson in loving others, even the unlovely.
"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love" 1 John 4:8 This one applies, too. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18
Something to think about,
Mylinda :-)
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment