Sunday, January 27, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Today is our 19th wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary!


This isn't the best picture of either one of us, but it's the most recent, taken at dinner on Nicky's birthday, just 4 weeks ago. Oh well.

I remember waking up on my wedding day and sitting up in my bed and thinking, "Today I'm getting married. This is the last morning I will wake up single." About that time, my grandmother knocked on my door and I told her to come in. She opened the door and then walked away. She came right back and took a picture of me sitting in my bed, hair a mess. It's the cutest picture and I still have it. :-)

My aunt and uncle drove all the way from NC after work on Thursday, slept for a few hours, then got to work. They were preparing most of the food for the wedding. My aunt also made all my birdseed bags, some of which were crosstitched. They didn't have any extra money and the car had a flat tire, or something, so I had to take my uncle to the repair shop. It was a busy day, but I was so grateful for all they did to help make my day special.

We got married at our church and had the reception there, too. According to the guest book, there were about 150 people or so. There wasn't any dancing, but it was ok. My color was purple, so the bridesmaids' dresses and the flowers were all purple. The guys had gray tuxes, except Nicky. He had a long-tailed, white tux. That was his only request for the whole wedding. He wanted a top hat and cane, too, but I wouldn't let him have them. Looking back, I wish I had. It wasn't a big deal, but it would've been cute. I gave a rose from my bouquet to my mom on the way up the isle and a rose to my MIL on the way back down the isle, with Nicky. Both of them were surprised and so pleased. It was so special to both of them. We didn't eat much at the reception, as we were inundated with people, so when we got to the hotel, we were starving. We decided to order room service, even though we knew it was expensive. We figured we'd just order one meal and share it, maybe a pizza or something. But, unfortunately, it had closed about 10 or 15 minutes earlier!! Since we had gotten a "honeymoon suite", they had a fruit basket and some champaigne. Great! So, we opened it up to find grapes....with seeds, an orange, one banana, and a couple strawberries. We were so tired, we only ate the banana and strawberries. The next morning, we went straight to Burger King!! lol

So, those were some highlights of our wedding. I left out a lot, like the fact that all the zippers on the guys' tuxes broke...except Nicky's, but that's the overall jist of it. It was a beautiful and special day and truly made me feel like a princess for a day. It was wonderful, but my life since then has been even better. Maybe by my 20th anniversary, I will scan some of the pictures so you can see. Maybe. :-)

1 comment:

Truth said...

Happy Anniversary! That was so much fun to read. I love that your grandmother thought to take your picture just waking up on your last single day. Sounds like a special lady.

Oh, and I tagged you for a meme on my blog.