Thursday, November 29, 2007

Camping in the Everglades, Part 1

Since we spent 3 days camping and I took a TON of pictures, I figured I'd just do a multi-part entry so you can see all the fun we had! Part 1 is going to be about what we did on Friday.


One of the first things Nicky did was to make a fire. It's a man-thing, but I sure love the fires! I looked over and saw this scene and thought it was so cute. Like father, like sons, right??




The boys are fascinated by the fire. Go figure!! If only I could bottle this mesmerizing-factor to take home and keep Levi a little calm. Hmmmm. :-)


Nicky was moving his buggy getting it ready for our ride in the swamp and he obtained two hitchhikers. You just know they thought this was too cool!!


Savannah took her BB gun and Indy into the woods behind the camp to practice shooting. Big surprise, huh?? She let Indy shoot, too, which was fun for him. They said they saw some HUGE alligator tracks back there. Oh, joy, joy. Anyway, in case you're wondering about the boots: no, it's not one of Savannah's "unique" fashion statements (Though she did say she'd like a pair to wear to school. Huh??). It's because of all the mud. In case you've never been to the Everglades, well, it's very, very wet in summer, just like a real swamp. But, when the dry season comes, the water dries up and leaves mud. The mud is very mushy at first, as the water is drying, but then it gets hard and really dry and cracked. Right now, the dry season is still coming in and the mud is....well, yucky. Of course, if you're a kid, nothing beats it! Check out Ashton!

She was attempting to walk in this mud. Yeah, right. Here she's trying to keep her balance, and thanfully, didn't actually fall over. The mud is so thick your shoes get stuck and you pull your foot right out of them....literally. Hence, the fashionable boots. Of course, once Indy came back from shooting and saw Ashton walking in the mud, he just had to join. Unfortunately, he doesn't have as good a balance as Ashton does. So, after losing his boot, yes, his boot, he attempted to put his foot back in and completely lost it and fell into the mud. Everyone thought this was hilarious except me, who had to clean him up. I guess that's how I missed that prize picture. Oh well. Believe me, in the next few parts of this entry, there is plenty of mud!!! LOL

2 comments:

Truth said...

That looks like a lot of fun. How warm is it? Been a little chilly here. I love the photo of the boys around the campfire.

Mylinda said...

Believe it or not, it's been in the low to mid 80's during the daytime. Almost feels like summer, but without the merciless humidity! It's in the low 70's at night, but we still have the a/c on. I sure wish it was a little cooler. Might make it feel more like Christmas. Of course, if I turn the a/c waaay down, it'll really feel like Christmas. My last resort! lol Enjoy your coolness. :-)